Thursday, April 28, 2011

Telephone conversations E.S.L.

Telephone conversations will vary depending on who you are speaking to.  However, there are some basic telephone vocabulary and expressions that one should use when having a personal telephone conversation in English.

Phrases/Vocabulary:

Opening of a Phone Conversation/Call:

"Hello?"
"How are you?"
"My name is..."
"What's your name?"
"Who's calling/this?"
"May I ask who's calling/or whom I'm speaking with?"
"Is this (name)?"
"Yes. This is her/him."
"Yes. This is (name) speaking."

Body of a Phone Conversation:

"Who would you like to speak to?"
"Can I help you?"
"I didn't get your name."
"Can I take a message?"
"I'll give him/her to message."
"I can't hear you (clearly).  Could you please speak up?"
"Could you please speak slowly?"

Ending A phone Conversation:

"Thank you (for your  help)."
"Could you please call back (in 10/15/20... minutes)?"
"I will call back. Thank you."
"Please call back in (time)."
"It was/been nice speaking with you."
"Thank for calling."
"Talk to you later."
"Bye for now."
"Goodbye."

Dialog:

Mark is making a personal telephone call to Jon.  The phone rings and Jon's mom answers...

Jon's mom: Hello?

Mark: Hello?  May I speak to Jon please?

Jon's mom: Sure.  May I ask who's calling?

Mark: Yes, it's Mark.

Jon's mom: Okay Mark. Could you please hold for one moment please?

Mark: Sure.  No problem.

Jon's mom: Thank you.

(Jon's mom leaves to get Jon).

Jon: Hello?

Mark:  Hi Jon.  I wanted to know what time you wanted to meet tomorrow to complete the sociology report.

Jon:  Well, I am busy in the morning so the afternoon is a good time for me.

Mark:  I cleared my whole day for this, because I really want to get this done.  It is due in a few days and we still have a lot to do.

Jon: Okay, 1:00pm is as early as I can get there.

Mark:  Okay.  I will see you then. Please call me if there are any changes in your schedule.

Jon: Sure. No problem. I will see you then. Bye.

Mark: Goodbye.

Now Your Turn!

Practice with a partner using the phrases above to create your own dialog.
Phone rings...

You:  Hello? Is ________ (name) there?

Your friend: __________________ (use the expressions above).

You: ______________ (respond according).

Your friend: _____________ (continue the dialog using the expressions above).

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback. Please come again.

      Delete
  2. Your blog is informative, it helps people to know that how to attend calls. It helps to make your conversations effective. Learn English Online

    ReplyDelete