Friday, August 6, 2010

Self-Introduction

We know what it takes to have a conversation, now let's look at how to introduce yourself.
The first thing you want to do when introducing yourself is to give your first name (in informal situations) and/or your full name (in formal situations).  Then talk about where you are from (your hometown or country of origin), your major or occupation (whichever applies), then talk about your hobbies. Here is a sample dialog detailing what this conversation should look like.

Dialog:

Akio and Gregory are in the waiting area at the public library waiting for it to open. However, they decided to make small talk while waiting for the library to open.

Akio: Hi.  My name is is Akio.  Nice to meet you.

Gregory:  Nice to meet you, too. My name is Gregory, but you can call me Greg. I just recently moved here (to New York) from California.
Akio: I did my business major in California at UCLA. It's a very nice place. I was born in Tokyo, Japan, but I've lived in New York most of my life with my mom, dad and my younger sister.

Gregory: Until recently, I've lived in California my entire life with my mom, dad and my two older brothers. I got my MBA at UCLA too! I graduated in 1995. What year did you graduate?

Akio: I graduated in 1997.  So, we were there at the the same time! That's quite some coincidence.  I found that almost everyone was into basketball.  I learned how to play basketball well at UCLA.

 Gregory: That's my favorite sport.  Maybe we can both get some of our friends together and play a game or two sometime.

Akio: Sounds like a plan. That would be great.  Here is my number, the best time to reach me is in the evenings.

Gregory:  Thank you.  Here's my number. You can reach me at any time. Bye.

Akio:  Thank you.  Nice speaking with you. Bye.

Vocabulary/Phrases:

"Hi/Hello.  My name is __________ ."

"What's your name?"

"How are you?"

"Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you, too."

"Let's get together (sometime)." - this means to meet each other or come together.

"Where are you from?"

"I'm from ___________ (name of place/country)."

"Sounds like a plan." - means "sounds good" or "let's do it."

"What is your major./What are you studying (at the moment)."

"What do you do?"

"Are you a student?"

"I'm a student."

"I am a ________ (doctor/teacher/...)"


Now Your Turn!

Use the vocabulary above to introduce yourself.  Then switch roles and practice as often as you can until you are comfortable with the vocabulary.

You:  Hi. My name is ___________ (name). What's your name?

Your friend: My name is _______.  Nice to meet you." (Shake hands)

You: Nice to meet you too.

Your friend: ___________________ (continue the dialog using the phrases above).

You: ________________ (Respond).


Great job today!

No comments:

Post a Comment