Monday, August 30, 2010

Talking About the Past

In many conversations, especially when introducing yourself to someone for the first time, there is usually an interest shown in understanding who you are by talking about past experiences and past events. We are now going to look at using the past tense.

Cameron: Hi Jake!
Jake: Hi Cameron!  How are you?
Cameron: Good! You don't look so good.  How was your weekend?
Jake: It was great!
Cameron:  What did you do? 
Jake:  I went to my girlfriend's birthday party. Then I went clubbing with the guys last night. I did not get home 'til 3am.  I am so tired...  What did you do on the weekend?
Cameron:  My weekend wasn't as eventful as yours, but it couldn't be helped.  I had two essays that are due today, so I had a lot of writing to do this weekend.  However... I took a break and went to the beach yesterday, so it wasn't all work.
Jake:  Well, I have a lecture right now, but I will catch up with you later.
Cameron: Sure! Talk to you then.
Jake: Okay, bye.
                
Now you can practice talking about past events too!  Make up your own questions.  Talk about where you are from, your childhood experiences or what you did last weekend.  Practice with a friend or on your own.

Example:

Question:  What did you do last weekend?

Answer: ____________________________________________________________ .

Answer Hint:

They went: nature/ siteseeing/to a picnic/partying/to the gym.

I went:  home/to a party/basketball game/studied.

No comments:

Post a Comment