Sunday, January 23, 2011

Talking About Getting Together with Friends In English

In English there are expressions used when we want to make plans, get out and have fun or "get together" with others. But what does "get gether" means? It means to meet or gather with family members or friends at an informal social gathering.  I am going to take a look at how to apply those expressions in everyday conversations.

Phrases:

"Let's get together..."
"Let's hang out..."
"Let's meet up..."/"Let's meet..."
"Let's do something fun and interesting..."
"Let's join up with..."

Possible Responses:

"Sure!  I would love together."
"I have (other) plans. Maybe another time."
"Sorry, I won't be able to make it."
"Sorry.  Maybe another time."
"I'm sorry, but I will have to take a rain check."
"Sure! When is it and where would you like to meet?"
"Great! Sounds like a plan."
"I love coffee/Chinese food/American food/to shop. Let's meet up!/I'll be there."

Dialog:

Nina is studying for the TOEFL.  She then decides to call her friend Joe, who is also preparing for the TOEFL, to study with her.

The phone rings...

Joe:  Hello.

Nina: Hi Joe.  How are you doing?

Joe:  Good, and you?

Nina:  Not so good.  I am studying for the TOEFL and really having a tough time focusing. I was wondering if you would like to meet up at the library and study together?

Joe:  Sounds great.  I haven't looked at the TOEFL practice exercises for days now.  I am so unmotivated right now.

Nina: Okay. Then let's get together! Can you be ready in a hour?

Joe:  I can be ready in less time.  However, see you within the hour.

Nina:  I'll be in the study area on the second floor. See you then.

Joe:  Thanks for calling.  See you.

Now Your Turn!

Create a scenario using the expressions above.  Call a friend, an acquaintance or family member and make plans to "get together".

You: Would you like to ______________________(expressions above) and have some coffee?

Your friend:  Sure!  I would love to get together! (Use the responses above).

Switch and keep practicing until you are comfortable with the dialog.

Great job today!

Click on the link and image below if you are looking for a text to help you prepare for the TOEFL.

No comments:

Post a Comment