Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ending or Changing the topic of Conversation

Ending a conversation is never an easy thing. Most of us find ourselves in long-drawn-out (just another way to say 'a very long time') conversations  that are boring, uncomfortable and have no real substance.  Many a times/many times (they mean the same thing and can be used interchangeably) we choose not to end them because we do not want to be rude. Well, ending a conversation or changing the topic of conversation is kind of like saying goodbye. Below are some phrases that one can use to end or change the topic of conversation.

Ending a Conversation With a Stranger:

"It was nice meeting you."

"I have to go. Nice talking to you."

"It was nice speaking with you, but I have to go now. Bye."

"Have a good day. Bye."

"I have an appointment, so I've got to go."


In General:

"I've got some work to do."

"Talk to you later."

"We will continue this (conversation) later."

"Could we change the topic (of conversation)?"

"This is not the best topic of conversation."

"I am not comfortable having this conversation with you."

"I would prefer not to discuss this (topic)z with you."

"Why don't you call me later?"

"I'm busy."

"I have a lot on my plate right now.  Maybe we can continue this later."

"Let's pick up this conversation later/after breakfast/tomorrow/in a hour..."

"Sorry to cut you off, but..."

Dialog:

Now let's take a look at how to develop a conversation using the above phrases.

Sam is waiting at the bus stop for a bus when an old lady approaches...

Old lady: Excuse me young man.  Do you know when the next bus is?

Sam:  Yes.  In about 5  minutes.      

Old lady: Thank you. (Pause). Nice day isn't it?

Sam: Yes it is.  It's supposed to get hotter tomorrow.

Old lady:  Is that so? Oh...

Sam:  Well, here comes the bus. It was nice speaking with you.

Old lady:  You too. Thanks.

Now your Turn!

I will give you two situations in which you will need to create your own dialog for. You can role play with a family member or a friend. 

Situation 1:

You are in a taxi cab and the taxi driver is talking about his day and not paying attention to the road.  How would you handle it? Use the phrases above to help you.

Situation 2:

You are at the movie theatre with a friend and the person sitting next  to you is talking about the premise of the movie  you are about to watch.  How would you respond? Use the phrases above to help you.

Multiple Choice!
Choose the best  way to end the conversation.

1.  You are shopping for a Christmas gifts at the Gap store and a fellow shopper starts complaining to you about how they hate to shop for Christmas presents.  You are focused on getting some shopping done because you have a busy schedule. What's the best response under the circumstance?

a.  "I know. Christmas shopping is expensive! I hate it too..."
b.  "I agree.  Shopping for gifts can be overwhelming."
c.  "I understand. Hope it gets better! Have a good day."
d.  "I know.  There is always a large crowd. Blah, blah, blah..."

2.  You are on the train reading a good book and the person sitting next to you ask you for the time.  You give her the time and she continues to talk about her day; however, you would really love to get back to reading your book.  How would you respond?

a. Continue listening and just nod in agreement to show that you are listening.
b. "Sounds like you had a busy day." Then continue to listen.
c. Ignore her and return to reading your book.
d. "I hope your evening gets better, but I was hoping to finish this chapter."

3.  Your friend calls you on the phone because he or she is bored, but you were in the middle of watching your favorite t.v. sitcom; Friends.  Would you respond by saying...

a. "Call me back later./I will call you back later.  I am in the middle of something."
b. "Would like to get together and do something fun?"
c. "I am sorry to  hear that you are bored and I hope you feel better, but I am busy."
d. "Ha! Ha! Ha!! Phoebe is so funny.  Sorry. What were you saying?"

4. Your spouse is in the other room reading to the children. Therefore you decided that it's best time to video Skype your friend Donna in France and in the middle of your conversation your son runs out crying and demands your attention.  You respond by saying...

a.  "I am so sorry Donna, but my son is upset." Then find out what's wrong, resolve the matter and return to your video conference.
b. "Go see your dad.  I am in the middle of a conversation."
c. Continue talking and ignore your son.
d. "Excuse me Donna.  What's the matter son? (Wait for a response). Sorry Donna, I will have to call you back.  Talk to you later."

Great job today!

Ans: c, d, a, a/d

1 comment:

  1. I was watching the lesson, it was so nice and it was a great job indeed.
    I'll try to follow you whenever I have time to do so :)
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete