Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Talking About Routines

It's commonplace  in the American culture for one to talk about routines or a typical day or week.  This topic of conversation is a great way to make small talk; thus, a common way to sum up a typical day in a casual conversation.  A routine is a habitual or ongoing task/chores completed regularly/often. We can describe these 'routines' by using adverbs of frequency and infrequency like, 'always', 'usually', 'sometimes', and so on.

Adverbs of Frequency:

usually
always
frequently
constantly
typically
regularly
predominantly
generally

Adverbs of Infrequency:

Sometimes
rarely
never
seldom
occasionally
from time to time
every now and then
intermittently
once in a blue moon
hardly ever

Dialog:

Now let's take a look at how to use the frequency and infrequency adverbs listed above in a basic English conversation.

Lilly and Jill are studying for a math test.

Lilly:  I am so tired, Jill.  I  have had three tests this well and I will have one more next week and two essays that I am still researching.  I am so behind...

Jill:  That is hectic.  My schedule is no different, but that's just university life. However, keep in mind that that's a typical week for most university student.

Lilly: That's true!  Out of curiosity... What's a typical day like for you?

Jill:  A typical day... Let me think.  Hmmmm... Well, a routine day for me begins at 7:00AM.  I always get up at 7:00AM and brush my teeth and shower immediately afterwards.  After that, I usually eat breakfast at 7:30AM, then get dressed for work.  I am generally out of my house by 8AM, because my first lecture begins at 8:30AM and it takes me about 15 to 20 minutes to arrive at school by bus.  The first lecture goes until 9:30AM and the second begins at 10:00AM and goes until noon, and it goes like that until 3:00PM. 

Lilly: Wow... That's quite a busy school day.

Jill: I know.  Then we always meet at the library and study until 5:00PM.  I typically arrive home at 5:00PM and then eat dinner at 6:00 sometimes 6:30PM. My parents and I usually sit down around 7:00PM and watch television, play a game and catch up on our day. Finally, I take another shower, brush my teeth and head to bed by 8:30PM. That's a typical day for me!

Lilly: And it starts all over again. I am tired just listening to that! A routine school day for me is not very different, however, I am not usually up until 8AM and I always arrive at school by 9:25AM, just in time for my 9:30AM lecture.  My lectures also go until 3:00PM and I we usually meet in the library and study until 5:00PM together.  However, after I leave the library I usually go to my part-time job downstairs in the school bookstore until 8:00PM and I am usually in my dorm around 8:15PM.  Then I microwave the frozen food my mom makes for me.  Finally, I take a shower, brush my teeth and then hit the hay typically around 10:00PM.

Jill:  I have come to realize that we need more fun in our lives. (Laughs).

Lilly: I second that! I never have any fun during the school year... (Laughs).

Now your Turn!

Verbs to describe your daily routine:

brush teeth
brush my hair
wash my hair
make breakfast
eat breakfast
take a shower
drive to work
get dressed
work out/exercise
order lunch
make lunch
play sports
go for a walk
go shopping for grocery
make dinner
prepare dinner

Use the dialog and vocabulary above as a guide to answer the questions above.

What's your daily routine?

What's a typical day like for you?

What's a typical weekend like?

What's your job?

What's your major?

When do you leave  home?

When do you return home?

Great job today!

No comments:

Post a Comment