Tuesday, November 30, 2010

How to Wish Someone Well for the Holiday Season

It's that festive time of year again when everyone around the world celebrates the end of the old year and beginning of the new year.   In the Western and Eastern culture a variety of celebrations take place like Diwali, American Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Boxing Day, New Year's Day, Chinese New Year, Chinese Lantern Festival, Rosh Hashanah, and so on. This is the time of year when family and friends get together to celebrate the holidays home and abroad.  If you are someone who lives in the Western culture or has friends from or in other countries, you may want to wish them well for the holiday season; but is unsure of what to say or how to say what you want to say. Below is a list of phrases that you can use to wish someone well for the holiday season.

Politically correct/Generic Term:

"Happy holidays!" (This includes all  holiday celebrations).

"I wish you all the best for the holidays."

"Seasons greetings!"


More Specific Phrases:

"Happy Thanksgiving!" (A celebration of harvest).

"Merry/Happy Christmas!" (Is a Christian holiday greeting. "Happy Christmas" is used in both America and Britain; however more so in Britain).

"Merry/Happy X-mas." (A shorten or informal Christmas greeting).

"Happy Hanukkah!" (A Jewish holiday greeting).

"Happy Kwanzaa!" (An African-American celebration of family and community).

"Happy New Year!"


Dialog:

Now let's look at how to use the vocabulary above in a typical English conversation.
As Terry and Maya wrap-up for the holiday season; Terry hands Maya a Christmas card. 

Maya: Thanks Terry!  I am so sorry, but I did not get you anything.

Terry: Don't worry about it. This is my way of playing "Santa". We have only worked together for 5 months, plus you are new to the company.  I have been making homemade cards for my co-workers for 3 years now.

Maya: That's really nice of you! Let me take a look at your handy work! (She opens the envelope and reads the card). "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Season's greetings".  I love the illustration. This is really great!  However, I don't celebrate Christmas.

Terry:  Oh, I am so sorry!  I didn't think to ask.

Maya: That's okay.  Most people assume that I do.  I am a Christian, but I just don't celebrate Christmas.  I celebrate Kwanzaa.

Terry: I've heard of Kwanzaa; however, I am not sure what entails.

Maya: Kwanzaa means the first fruits of celebration. It's a 7 day celebration which begins December 26th and ends January 1st, annually.  It is celebrated with the lighting of 7 candles in a candle holder or kinera.  The focus is family and community; there is a feast, gift giving and of course great food! (laughs).

Terry:  It sounds wonderful. It sounds a lot like Christmas; but different... Well, for Christmas I will be volunteering at the homeless shelter.  I would like to invite you.

Maya.  Thank you. Let me check my calendar and call you tomorrow. I have gotta' run. Thanks for the card!

Terry:  You are welcome! I am looking forward to that phone call!

Maya: You can hold me to that! Bye.

Terry: Bye.

Now your Turn!

Use the phrases above to role play with a family member or friend!

You: What are you doing for the holiday season?

Your friend/family member:  I am ________________ (respond by stating what your plans are).

You:  That sounds great!/(other adjectives). (If it's a holiday celebration as for your friend to explain the meaning of the holiday).

Your friend/family member: Thank you!/(Respond to the explanation).

Great job today!


No comments:

Post a Comment