Saturday, September 25, 2010

Expressing Likes and Dislikes

When expressing likes and dislikes one can use the forms, "I like...", "I don't like...", "I really like...",  "I really don't like...", "I love...", "I really don't love...", "I'm (quite) into...", "I am not into...", "I am interested in...", "I am not interested in...", "I hate...", "I really hate...",  just to name a few.

Use the dialog below to practice/role play with a friend.  Role play and take turns being each character.

Anna and John are on their way to the premier of the movie "The Avatar: The Last Airbender".

Anna: I really love science fiction, I rarely watch fantasy before.  I am not quite into it.

John:  I feel quite the opposite.  I am really into fantasy. You' ll love it! It's more of an action movie with lots of adventure.  I like science fiction, however, I think a lot is lost in the storyline and plot and more emphasis is placed on special effects.

Anna: That may have been true 30 years ago, it isn't true today.  There are lots of great science fiction movies today. 

John:  "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" are great movies, however, that does not change the fact that quite a few science fictions lack substance!

Anna:  I am not going to try to convince you otherwise.  We are going to have to agree to disagree. 

John:  I guess you are right.  I am glad that you agree to go to the movie theatre with me.  Why don't you like going to the movie theatre.

Anna: Well, I find they can be quite dirty.  Plus you never know who going to sit, in front, behind or beside you.  I find that I have a lot of bad luck with that.  There is always some one talking, kicking the chair or getting up to go to the restroom, which takes away from the joy of it all.

John: I see.  That makes sense.  I don't really care.  I just love the experience. Well, I hope you have a different experience today, because I think it's quite a lot of fun.

Anna:  Thank you.  I love the popcorn if that makes you feel any better. Ha! Ha! Ha!

John: That's a positive.  Well, here we are... we have arrived.

Anna: Great! Let's go in!

Now your turn! 

Role play with a friend using the conjunctions "and, but, either, neither" to express likes and dislikes.

Your name:  I like _________________, but I don't like___________.

Friend's name: I like _________ and I like_________.

Your name:  I don't like either _________ or ___________.

Friend's name:  Neither do I.

Great job today!

No comments:

Post a Comment