Friday, September 24, 2010

Expressing Desires

When expressing desires, one can use forms like, "Could you....?" or "Would you....?". Other forms that could be used that are more direct are:  "I wish...", "I want...", "I'd like to...",  or "I hope to/for...".  Below is another sample dialog on how to use this effectively.

Joy is in the kitchen making breakfast for the family when her husband Cooper enters...

Joy:  I have so much to do today and I am not sure that I can get it all done before the kids come home from school.

Cooper:  Yes, that is a lot. Why don't you just cancel some of your appointments for another day?

Joy:  Well, I can't because I have another busy day tomorrow.  Could you pick up the kids from school today?  If you could do that for me, then that will give me a chance to make my last appointment.

Cooper:  Sure, I have nothing planned for that time. However, I'd like to hang out with the guys this evening.  Will you be back before 7:00 PM?

Joy:  Yes, I will be back before 7:00 PM.  If anything changes I will give you a call.  I wish I could hang out with the girls more often.

Cooper:  I don't see how with your busy schedule.  However, you would have to give up something if you decide that's something you would like to do.  You know I had to. You deserve some fun in your life.

Joy:  Yes, I do... I would like to have some balance in my life.  I am going to revisit my schedule.

Cooper: I think you should!

The children enters the room...

Now your turn!
Complete the dialog below.

Use the forms:  "Could you....?" or "Would you....?", "I wish...", "I want...", "I'd like to...",  or "I hope to/for...".

Your Name:  Hi __________ (name)!

Friend's name:  Hi!  What are your plans for the weekend?

Your name:  I would like to/I hope to/I wish I could, but I am....

Friend's name: Sounds great!/Okay...

Your name:  What about you? What are your plans for the weekend?

Friend's name:  I'd like to/I hope to/I would like to...


Great job today!

No comments:

Post a Comment