Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Expressing Opinions

There are different ways to express or share one's opinion. Below are some common expressions used when expressing or asking for an opinion on a subject matter.

Expressing/Sharing Opinions:

"I think that...."
"In my opinion...."
"I am of the opinion that..."
"I believe/I strongly believe that..."
"From my point of view..."
"I feel (that)..."
"From my experience..."
"This is what I think..."
"From my perspective..."
"It is my thought that..."

Asking for an Opinion:

"What's your opinion (on/about that)?"
"What's your point of view?"
"Do you have an opinion (on/about that)?"
"What you you think/believe (about that)?"
"What's your perspective on that?"
"How do you feel about that?"
"What do you have to say about that?"

Below is a dialog of how to apply the phrases above in a natural English conversation.  Please use it to role play and practice with  a friend. 

Billy and Lynn are having a discussion about the newly popular children's book "Fancy Nancy."

Billy:  My daughter loves that book, but I am not sure that it's appropriate for girls her age.

Lynn: How old is your daughter again?

Billy:  She is 4 years old. What's your perspective on that?

Lynn:  Well, that's about right.  The book is written for children her age! It's for school age girls, which is around 4 to 7 years of age. My daughter is 5 years old and she loves it too.  I don't see anything wrong with the content.

Billy:  I understand that; however, I think it's a little mature for her. 

Lynn: I am of a different opinion.  From my perspective it's harmless! Girl's your daughter's age and younger start dressing up in their mother's clothes from age two and possibly a bit younger! 

Billy:  Regardless of that fact, I still believe that her outfits are too mature and a little suggestive.

Lynn: Well, that's the idea! That's what happens when little girls dress up in adult clothing. Despite how you feel about the book, there are lots of positive things about the book.  For one, the vocabulary is great and so it the storyline and it teaches young girls how to express themselves and their opinions in a healthy way.

Billy: That might be so, but that is not going to change my opinion of it.

Lynn: I can see that.  However, you are entitled to your opinion.

Billy:  Yes, I am. 

Now your turn!

Share your opinion with a friend about the subject above or come up with you own.

You:  __________ (friend's name), what's your opinion about (the children's book "Fancy Nancy")/ (come up with your own subject).

Your friend:  _____________ (Choose from the expressions above).

You: _________________ (Respond using an opinion phrase above).

Your friend:  __________________ (Use an opinion phrase or just share a fact about the subject matter).

Note: Try to keep the conversation going for as long as your can.  Think of how you would respond in your language to the subject being discussed and use the expressions above to voice your point of view.

Great job today!

No comments:

Post a Comment