Friday, September 17, 2010

Talking about the Future

Using the future tense is a great way to express your plans and desires for the future.  Let's take a look at how to talk about your dreams for the future.

Lisa: You know what Mark?  I am really excited about graduating from high school.  I am really looking   
forward to life after high school, because there is so much I want to do?

Mark:  What are your plans for the future?

Lisa:  Well, I am looking forward to university life.  I have always dreamed of going to Princeton and now
it's a dream come true.

Mark:  That is exciting.

Lisa:  What do you plan to do after you graduate from high school? 

Mark:  University was never something I saw myself doing immediately after graduating from high school. 
However, it's something I want to do in the near future. Let's say about 3 to 5 years.  Right now I have plans to travel the world. 

Lisa: Wow!  That sounds great Mark! Which country will your visit first?

Mark: I will be leaving for Japan a week after graduation.  I plan on backpacking around Asia and Europe.
Then do a cruise or group tour around Africa, Australia and South America. I have been saving up for this for a long time.  This is a dream come true to finally be able to do this.

Lisa:  I am jealous! Actually, I am really happy for you.  It sounds like it's going to be quite adventurous and
a lot of fun.  I have always wanted to travel, but it was something I wanted to do after I graduated from
university. 

Mark:  Have you chosen a major yet?

Lisa:  Yes, I have.  I plan on majoring in psychology.  It has been a dream of mine for a long time.  I
think it will be fulfilling and very rewarding, to be able to work in the field of psychiatry. 

Mark: You do sound quite passionate about it. I wish you all the best.  We will catch up later.  I got to run. Bye.

Lisa: Bye for now.

Now Your Turn!

Use the expressions below to create a dialogue about your plans for the future.

Expressions/Vocabulary:

"It's something I am passionate about."
"It will be fulfilling."

"I am excited about the future/my plans for the future."

"It is something that will make me very happy."

"It will bring a lot of joy."

"It's been a dream of mine (all my life)."

Complete the sentences below with the expresions above.
Question 1:  What are your plans for the future?
Answer 1:  I plan on/I want to ________________.

Question 2:  Why do you want to tour around Asia and Europe?
Answer 2:  I wanted to travel, because (Use an expression above).

Now, make up your own sentences about your plans for the future!

Great job for today!


No comments:

Post a Comment