Saturday, October 30, 2010

Apologizing

In English there are a few expressions used when apologizing to others.  There are times when we apologize to take responsibility for an act commited or to show empathy.  When an apology is given to show empathy;  it's because someone has experienced a great loss and an apology is a used in a effort to comfort the person on the receiving end. Now we are going to look at how to apologize in English and how to accept an apology.

Dialog:

Below is a sample dialog of how to apologize in English.

Jamie was late meeting his dad David for dinner. 

Jamie:  I'm sorry I'm late, dad.  The highway was congested and when I arrived it was tough finding a parking spot.

David:  I understand that the situation could not be helped, but you know it's rush hour.  You could have left a little earlier.  I left work early so that I could be here on time.

Jamie:  I am sorry!  I don't know what else to say.  I tried my best.

David:  Well, we lost our table.  When they are this busy they don't keep the reservation for longer than an hour past the time you are supposed to be here.

Jamie:  I should have called.

David:  I called and you did not answer your phone.  However, you are often late, Jamie.  You  need to work on being more punctual.

Jamie:  My phone didn't ring.  I did not get your call.  Can we just try to find another restarant?

David: I'm up for that!

Now your turn!

Use the expressions of apologizing and and responding to an apology to practice.

Expressions of Apology:

"I'm sorry."


"I apologize."


"I regret what has happened."


"I regret putting you in that situation."



Responses to Apology:

"I understand."


"I am sorry too."


"That's/It's okay."


"I accept your apology."


"No problem."


"Don't worry about it."

Role Play:

You:  I am sorry that I _________ ( broke your cup) use your own example .

Your Friend:  That's okay. _______ (I can replace it ) comment."

Now switch places!

Great job today!

5 comments: