Sunday, October 24, 2010

Asking For and Giving Directions

Following and giving direction can be quite challenging at times.  However, there are some key words that one can use that are very important when giving directions.  It's important to drill these if you are not comfortable or familiar with them in order to remember them.  A more effective way to  use them is to practice!

ASKING FOR DIRECTIONS:

"Excuse me.  Could you please tell me where the ________ (name of place) is?"


"Excuse me.  Where is the _______ (name of place) is?"


"Excuse me. I am not sure where ______ (name of place) is. Could you tell me where _______ (name of place) is."


"Excuse me.  I am lost.  Could you tell me where _______ (name of place) is?"


"Excuse me.  Where is the best way to the ________ (name of place) is?"


"Excuse me.  I am looking for the ______ (name of place).  Do you know where it is?"


"Excuse me.  Could you point me to the nearest Shopping center/gas station/convenience store...?" (This expression is used if you are looking for a general service station or amenity).


"Excuse me.  Could you give me some quick directions to the _______ (name of place)?"




KEY VOCABULARY- GIVING DIRECTIONS:

Turn left/right on/at (the) ___________ (name of street/place).


Make a left/right at the corner of _______ (name of place/street).


At the intersection make a left/right onto _______ (name of street).


Go straight...


At the corner of...


Across from


Next to...


In front of...
adjacent to...
 
There's a landmark/look for the landmark ______ (give name).
 
Go one/two mile...
 
Go one/two block(s)...
 
At the first/second/third set of lights make a (left/right).
 
At the stop sign...
 
At the first/second/third stop sign make a left/right.
 
Go north/south on....
 
Go east/west on...
 
Take ramp (give name) onto the highway.
 
Take exit (give name) off the highway.
 
Exit at (give name of exit).
 
Dialog:

Below is a dialog of how to use or apply the expressions above in an everyday English conversation.

Jaz is unclear about the directions Fin give her to the mall, so she called to clarify.
 
Fin: Hello? Hi Jaz!  I just arrived at the shopping center.
 
Jaz:  I am on my way, but I am not sure if I am going the right way.
 
Fin:  Where are you?
 
Jaz:  Well, I am on Manchester street and I just past the intersection of Manchester and Eaton street.
 
Fin:  Great.  You are going the right way.  Now all you have to do is take Manchester to Center street. 
 
Jaz:  Okay...
 
Fin:  When you come to Center street, make a right onto Center street.  Then drive for about one mile until you come to fork in the road.  Keep right of that until you see a landmark; a war memorial.
 
Jaz:  Okay.  I see it now. 
 
Fin:  Drive right past it and you will see the mall directly in back of it.
 
Jaz: I see it!
 
Fin: Great!  You can park anywhere.  I am waiting in the entrance way.  You will see "Welcome" overhead.
 
Jaz:  Thanks Fin!  I'll see you in a minute.
 
Fin: Bye.
 
Now you turn!
  
Role play using the key words above to ask for and give directions to a familiar place in your neighborhood.  Use the outline below as a guide.
 
You:  Excuse me.  Could you tell me where the gas station/mall/Dollar store/Grocery store/... is?
 
Your Friend:  It's ___________ (use the key words above).
 
Now switch places and continue role playing.   Practice until you are comfortable.
 
Great job today!




No comments:

Post a Comment