Tuesday, October 5, 2010

How to Accept and Refuse an Invitation

It can sometimes be difficult to accept, refuse and extend an invitation. However, for someone who is new to the English as a second language, understanding the custom and finding the right vocabulary can sometimes be a  challenge. Accepting and declining an invitation may vary depending on the occasion. One can extend an invitation formally ( by mail, email) or informally (by mail, email, phone, texting, or face to face, which is done verbally). There are a few forms/phrases one can use when accepting, declining or extending an invitation. 

FORMAL :

Extending an Invitation:

"(Your Name) would like to invite (name of person being invited) to dinner on (date) at (time). R.S.V.P. (respondez s'il vous plait)."

Declining an Invitation:

"(Your name), regretfully decline (name of invitee) invitation to dinner on (date) at (time)."

Accepting an Invitation:

"(Your name) accepts (name of invitee) kind invitation to dinner on (date) at (time)."

INFORMAL:

Invitation (telephone):
"Would you like to come to ________?"

Accepting (telephone):
"Thank you for thinking of me, I would love to come!"

OR

"I would love to come! But let me check my calendar first and get back to you."

Declining:
"I need some time to think about it/check my calendar. I will have to call you back."

OR

"Thanks for thinking of me, but I have (made) other plans."

MAIL/EMAIL/TEXT:

Extending an Invitation (usually a note written in the first person):

"I would like to invite you to (occasion) on (date) at (time). I would love to have you as my guest."

Response:

"I would love to be there!/I would love to come! Thanks for the invite/for thinking of me. (Keep me posted if there are any changes)."

Decline:

"I have (made other) plans. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it.  Thanks for the invite/invitation."

Dialog:
Use the dialog below to practice the forms above.

Michelle is throwing a Halloween party and has decided to invite her friends by telephone. Michelle is calling the first friend on the list; Jake, to invite him.

Michelle:  Hi Jake! How are you?

Jake: Good! What's up?

Michelle: Well, I have made the final arrangements for the Halloween party I'm throwing this year and I am now calling everyone on my list.

Jake:  That's good to hear.

Michelle:  I would like to invite you to my Halloween party on Halloween, of course. It's at 7pm (in the evening).

Jake:  I would love to come.  Please hold on a minute while I check my calendar. 

Michelle: Sure!

(Jake returns to the phone).

Jake:  I am available, however, I won't be there until 8:30 pm because I have an evening lecture. Thanks for thinking of me!

Michelle: My pleasure! I will see you there.  Call me if there are any changes.

Jake: No problem. 

Michelle: Great! Bye for now.

Jake: Bye.

Now your turn!

Think of an event or occasion and use the forms above to practice/role play with a friend.

You:  Hi (name of friend).  I would like to _________________ (use the form above).

Your friend: _____________________ (Use the form above to accept or decline).



Great job today!

No comments:

Post a Comment