Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Describing People

Describing the Physical Appearance of Others

There are many ways in which one can describe others. Let's look at some adjectives that we can use to describe others. Please use the forms below.

"Is he/she...?"


"He/she is..."

"You are..."

"They are..."

HAIR:                                                        

Black
Brown/brunette
Blond (e)/fair
Red/redhead
Grey/salt and pepper
Long/medium length/short/bald
Straight/curly/wavy
Big/small curls
Thick/thin/full head of hair
FACIAL SHAPE:

Long
Thin
Round
Oval
EYES:                                            

Blue/green/brown/dark/black
Big/bulging
Almond-shaped
Round
Deep-set
Close-set
Wide-spaced
NOSE:                                            

Long/pudgy/straight
Pointy/big/sharp/pierced (nose ring)
Thin/wide/broad
Flat/rounded/square

LIPS:                                                           

Thin
Full
Big
Small
EYEBROWS:                                       

Thick
Thin
Unibrow
Penciled/tattooed
BUILD:                                                  

Thin/skinny/slim
Fat/chubby/plump
Muscular/heavy built/well-built
Medium built/average weight/fit
Slightly built
Overweight/slightly overweight
Obese
HEIGHT:                                      

Tall/long (babies)
Average/normal
Height
COMPLEXION:                                   
Dark
Black
White
Pale
freckles
Light
Brown/light-brown
Asian complexion
Tanned
OTHER ADJECTIVES:                          

High cheekbones
large forehead
Beautiful/cute/pretty/handsome
Average looking
Wears glasses/contacts
moustache/beard                                           


Use the dialog below to role play/practice using the adjectives above.

Don arranged a blind date for his friend Matt.

Don: I have known you since kindergarten.  Trust me, you will like her.

Matt:  Last time you set me up on a blind date it did not go so well.  To be honest with you, I am not sure that I do trust you. But I haven't been on a date in a long time and that's why I agreed to go on this date.

Don:  This girl could be the one! I want you to find happiness like I did.  You are 40 and single!

Matt: I am also happy and single!  Who says that I want to get married?

Don:  Don't forget I've known you since kindergarten?!

Matt: Okay, whatever man... At least tell me what she looks like.

Don:  Well, she is about average height; 5 feet 5 inches.  She has brown eyes and short brown hair...

Matt: Is she at least cute?

Don:  I would say that she's pretty?

Matt:  Knowing your taste, that means she is average looking.

Don:  I wouldn't lie to you! She is quite attractive.  Why don't you meet her first before you pass judgement.

Matt: Okay, okay...  So tell me more about her.

Don: She has beautiful almond-shaped eyes and some freckles. 

Matt: Is she thin, fit, average weight?

Don: She is a cross between average weight and fit.

Matt: I think you are being honest.  I am actually looking forward to this date.

Don: I am glad to hear that!

Now you turn!
Use the vocabulary above to role play with a friend until you are comfortable using them.  You can begin by taking turn describing each other and then yourselves.  You can continue role playing by describing someone in your family or someone close to you.

You:  I am short/tall/average height ___________________ (use the adjectives above).
The color of my hair is _______________.  It is long/short/curly...
I have a tan/freckles.


Your friend:  You are pretty/attractive/cute_______________.
You have blue/green/brown/dark eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment