Saturday, October 2, 2010

Giving and Responding to Commands

Commands are used to give instructions (when asking someone to do something) or directions (when telling someone how to find a place, or in helping them complete a task).  There are direct and indirect commands, polite and impolite commands, and negative and positive commands.  Below are a few examples of the different ways in which one can give commands and the forms that can be used.

Direct/Impolite:

"Go!"
"Get that for me."
"Stop!"
"Put that away."

Indirect:

"Could you go?"
"Could/would you get that for me?"
"Could you stop that?"
"Could you put that away (for me)?"

Polite/Positive:

"Go, please."
"Get that for me please."
"Stop, please."/"Please, stop."
"Put that away, please."

Negative:

"Don't (do not) go."
"Don't get that."
"Don't/Never say that!"
"Don't put that away."

Use the dialog below to practice the commands above.

Jane and Dexter are making macaroni and cheese dinner.

Jane:  I love macaroni and cheese.

Dexter:  So do I.  You need to add more cheese, it's not yellow or cheesy enough.

Jane: You may be right.  Get the cheese out of the refrigerator for please.

Dexter:  Sure.  Here you go!

Jane: There! That should do it.  Put the cheese away for me please?

Dexter:  Leave it on the counter, I'll get it when I'm done setting the table.

Jane:  I think we make a good team. We should open our own restaurant.

Dexter:  You would have to be the chef, because I can't cook at all.  Ha, ha,  ha!

Jane: You are right! Ha, ha, ha!

Now you turn! 

Create your own dialog using the expressions above.

You:  ____________________________ (Commands above).

Your friend: _______________________ (Respond.  Then use a command above).

You:  ____________________________ (Respond).

Great job today!

No comments:

Post a Comment